On Dec 12, 2013, at 4:25 AM, Vic Katte <vicnka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

What version of Tomcat are you using?

> How does one configure tomcat so that a hosted application could connect to
> a JMS Message server such as WebSphereMQ?
>
> I have managed to write a small test application in JMS and deployed it to
> tomcat and configured it to connect to MQ. This application defines the
> default initial context using
>
> InitialContext context = new InitialContext()

Could you give us a larger code sample?  This doesn't really show much.

> And have configured the context.xml and web.xml.

What have you configured in these files?  Include that too, minus comments.

> I have deployed and tested and it works quite well.
>
> However, I do not want to use the default context.

Why do you not want to use the defaults?

> I want to use code something like below:
>
> Hashtable env = new Hashtable()
>
> env.put(Context, "contextValue")
> env.put(ProviderURL, "theURL)
> etc
>
> InitialContext context = new InitialContext(env)

Again, why?  What are you trying to achieve here?  Why doesn't the default
work?  More context and information will help someone on this list to give you
a better answer.

> My question is - What does this ProviderURL represents? Is it the URL to
> the JNDI service or is it the URL to the JMS message server?

Not ringing any bells.  Probably something specific to your JMS implementation.

> If it is the URL to the JNDI server, does tomcat have a separate JNDI
> server? If so, what is its URL?

Tomcat has a JNDI implementation that you can use to access resources defined
on the server.

  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

If you were to make your MQ resources available through JNDI (using the
<Resource/> tag), you could access them in your application through JNDI.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#Using_resources

Dan