On Dec 12, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Vic Katte <vicnka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Dan,

First, please don't top post.  Reply inline, like me, or at the bottom.  That
is the convention followed on this list.

> Thanks for responding. Without going too much into the code, I am trying to
> understand whether Tomcat does support the concept of a Naming Server.

Yes.  See the link I sent in the previous email.

> With JMS, it is possible to create and store administration objects such as
> ConnectionFactory, Destinations in a Naming Service (such as LDAP).

You can define these in Tomcat by using <Resource /> tags.  Again, see the link
I sent previously.

> Is it possible to use and external independent Naming Service, such as LDAP to
> store JMS Admin objects in conjunction with Tomcat?

You can connect to an LDAP server, but that has nothing to do with Tomcat.
You'd just use the functionality present in the JVM.

> The whole idea of
> having a Naming Service was to separate objects. Thus your Naming Service
> hold the details of the objects one really wants to use.
>
> From the code, we connect to the Naming Service and obtain reference to the
> ConnectionFactory, say. We then use this reference to connect to the
> underlying JMS server encapsulated in the ConnFactory.
>
> Supposing my Naming Service URL/port is A.B.C.D/nnnn and my JMS Server URL
> is E.F.G.H/mmmm - What should one use as the Provider URL in this context?

There is no url, server or port required when loading items from JNDI with
Tomcat.  See the links I previously sent which show how to grab objects from
JNDI.

> Does Tomcat have a Naming Service running inside it which stores the admin
> objects?

Yes, it has naming service, but I'm not sure what you mean by "admin objects".
Anything you configure with Resource tags will be available to your
applications through JNDI.  If you don't configure it, it won't be available.

> If so, is it accessible via a URL?

Yes.  Resources are located in JNDI with the URL "java:comp/env/...".  The rest
of the path depends on what you setup in your Resource tag.

Dan

> Thanks
> ViK
>

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>wrote:
>
>> On Dec 12, 2013, at 4:25 AM, Vic Katte <vicnka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>> What version of Tomcat are you using?
>>

>>> How does one configure tomcat so that a hosted application could connect
>>> a JMS Message server such as WebSphereMQ?
>>>
>>> I have managed to write a small test application in JMS and deployed it
>>> tomcat and configured it to connect to MQ. This application defines the
>>> default initial context using
>>>
>>> InitialContext context = new InitialContext()
>>
>> Could you give us a larger code sample?  This doesn't really show much.
>>
>>> And have configured the context.xml and web.xml.
>>
>> What have you configured in these files?  Include that too, minus comments.
>>
>>> I have deployed and tested and it works quite well.
>>>
>>> However, I do not want to use the default context.
>>
>> Why do you not want to use the defaults?
>>
>>> I want to use code something like below:
>>>
>>> Hashtable env = new Hashtable()
>>>
>>> env.put(Context, "contextValue")
>>> env.put(ProviderURL, "theURL)