> With testOnBorrow="true" ( I think that is the default value in Tomcat
> 6 ) + validationQuery="SELECT 1 FROM DUAL" , that should work

So you are saying my configuration should work as-is to allow Tomcat to create
a database connection pool to a database that was unavailable when Tomcat was
started?

> I've never used
>
> maxOpenPreparedStatements="0"
> accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed="false"
>
> what are they for ?

maxOpenPreparedStatements: The maximum number of open statements that can be
allocated from the statement pool at the same time
accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed: Allows the raw physical connection to the
database to be accessed by the webapp

This email contains information which may be PROPRIETARY IN NATURE OR OTHERWISE
PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE and is intended only for the use of the
addresses(s) named above.  If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender immediately.