-----Original Message-----
From: Howard W. Smith, Jr. [mailto:smithh032...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:23 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: What if my database is unavailable at startup?

OP,

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Dames, Kristopher J <
kristopher.da...@mercy.net> wrote:

> I use tomcat 6 and have noticed if a database is not available when
> tomcat starts, tomcat will not try to connect once the database becomes
> available.
> Tomcat must be restarted to establish the database connection. What
> are best practices regarding this? Is there a way in tomcat to get it
> to automatically retry so I don't have to restart tomcat? I use DBCP
> but am willing to try some other pool.

Barry,

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Propes, Barry L <barry.l.pro...@citi.com>wrote:

> I use DBCP and Oracle as well, and am also on Tomcat 6 - 6.0.26. Take
> a look at mine, as I have NO trouble with it, and see if you can
> configure it similarly with success. NOTE - remove those other two
> parameters that Jose mentions in a prior email.
>
>   <Resource
>     auth="Container"
>     description="mytomcatapp"
>     name="jdbc/myoracle"
>     type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>     driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
>     username="username"
>     password="password"
>     url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@cgnrdb1p:1648:SERVNAME"
>     maxIdle="30"
>     maxWait="10000"
>     maxActive="10"
>     testOnBorrow="true"
>     timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="-1"
>     minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="28800"
>     poolPreparedStatements="true"
>     removeAbandoned="true"
>     removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
>     logAbandoned="false"/>

are you suggesting that your (or a correct(ed)) <Resource> will solve the
problem stated in OP (above)?

can/should we assume that your URL is referencing a database on a different
machine, same network/intranet/LAN?

>  url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@xxxxx.yyyyy.com:1521:xxxxx"

it seems as though OP is referencing a database somewhere on the 'internet'.

Oh ok. Yes, mine is on the same network, through an intranet. Different
machine, but same network. If that helps.