Jesse Barnum wrote:
On Dec 22, 2013, at 8:54 AM, Konstantin Preißer <kpreis...@apache.org> wrote:

I suspect the AJP client intentionally closes the connection if e.g. the HTTP
client which connected to the outer Webserver (HTTPD, IIS) aborted the HTTP
connection (or there was some other error) so this error is reflected at Tomcat
(which can therefore throw this exception). Otherwise Tomcat or the Webappp
would not know that there was an error and if it e.g. was sending a 10 GB file,
it would continue to send it.

If this is the case, then shouldn't the AJP client include the AbortException
as the 'causedBy' property for the EOFException? The last line in the stack
trace is:

at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpNioProcessor.readSocket(AjpNioProcessor.java:358)

So something went wrong when it tried to read the socket, but I would think
there would be some java.net.* or java.io.* exception (ie. AbortException,
SocketException) corresponding to that problem. Throwing the EOFException
without an associated cause sounds like there is something wrong with the state
of the data being received, not with the underlying network socket itself.

Take this with a grain of salt again, but from the reading I've done, I believe that the EOFexception comes from the class which you use for read()-ing the input stream.
It is that class which "translates" the underlying exception to EOFexception.