André,

On 12/23/13, 12:09 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> Jesse Barnum wrote:
>> On Dec 22, 2013, at 8:54 AM, Konstantin Preißer
>> <kpreis...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect the AJP client intentionally closes the connection if
>>> e.g. the HTTP client which connected to the outer Webserver
>>> (HTTPD, IIS) aborted the HTTP connection (or there was some
>>> other error) so this error is reflected at Tomcat (which can
>>> therefore throw this exception). Otherwise Tomcat or the
>>> Webappp would not know that there was an error and if it e.g.
>>> was sending a 10 GB file, it would continue to send it.
>>
>> If this is the case, then shouldn't the AJP client include the
>> AbortException as the 'causedBy' property for the EOFException?
>> The last line in the stack trace is:
>>
>>> at
>>> org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpNioProcessor.readSocket(AjpNioProcessor.java:358)

So something went wrong when it tried to read the socket, but I would
>> think there would be some java.net.* or java.io.* exception (ie.
>> AbortException, SocketException) corresponding to that problem.
>> Throwing the EOFException without an associated cause sounds
>> like there is something wrong with the state of the data being
>> received, not with the underlying network socket itself.
>>

> Take this with a grain of salt again, but from the reading I've
> done, I believe that the EOFexception comes from the class which
> you use for read()-ing the input stream. It is that class which
> "translates" the underlying exception to EOFexception.

EOFException is likely being thrown directly from AjpNioProcessor.
This is lines 375-377 of current 7.0.x/trunk:

        } else if (nRead == -1) {
            //return false;
            throw new EOFException(sm.getString("iib.eof.error"));

So perhaps Tomcat is using that exception in a way that is unexpected.