> By all means, post the relevant portion of the log file.
I don't think this is of big help here.

> It would be very helpful if you'd answer my earlier question about
>how you take a request and route it to Velocity
We put the request into the velocityContext and hence have the possibility to
access "whe(r|n)ever needed"

>How do you know that the requests are coming from certain IPs and they are
>then being reported incorrectly in the access.log or in your own web pages.
1) in the access.log we see all requests
2) if a specific monitoring-URL is called from our monitoring site (which's IP
we know ;) ), AND the IP does not "match the monitoring site", we write out the
remote IP into the app-log as an error

Now if the load on our site is high (bots accessing) then we frm time to time
see these errors AND in the access.log we see that reported IP matches "the
request before the monitoring request" (from the bot)

Hope this helps