Utkarsh,

On 3/21/14, 3:01 AM, Utkarsh Dave wrote:
> Thanks Konstantin. My version of TOMCAT is 7.0.41 you said with
> this configuration i will not be able to access ROOT/index.html or
> any of the images, css or js files. What can i do to overcome this
> if i still want to go ahead configuring the
> $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml.

Stop right here.

Remove your Tomcat installation: you have corrupted it. Re-install a
new one.

Then, without editing anything in TOMCAT_HOME/conf, install your web
application.

Now, edit the file TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/yourwebapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
instead and add your Filter.

> Can i add them in entryPoints. ? I want to do it in this file
> because i dont want my 50 + webapps to modify there respective
> web.xml file. Rather we can configure them at 1 common place.

You do not want to do this, because the configuration for the Filter
is likely to be different in all of your web apps. If you want CSRF
protection in each web application, then you should configure them
appropriately. Your web applications should be self-contained.

If you don't want to hand-modify your individual web.xml files, then
write a deployment procedure that does it for you. If you tinker
around with conf/web.xml you are more likely to break things than
solve anything.

As you say, Tomcat won't even start up right now due to your edits.

>>> I am trying to configure the Tomcat inbuilt filter
>>> (tomcat.valves.CiscoResponseHeaderFilter) into my
>> $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml

Is that a typo? Did you mean CSRF instead of Cisco?