From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: External URL delay from webapp

Scott Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
> We are having an issue with a new tomcat deployment, in our webapp we make a
> request to a 3rd party webservice site using http URL for retrieving the
> data, the first time we click the button to make the request the information
> is returned within a second or 2 but if we click the button again within 5
> seconds to request the information again it takes a good minute for the data
> to be returned.
>
> We found that if we set the "-Dhttp.proxyHost  and -Dhttp.proxyPort" options
> in tomcat under the java options this resolves the delay but also breaks
> another request to a different 3rd party using https URL.

Maybe first, understand that this has nothing to do with Tomcat.  So you may
have been looking for information in the wrong places.

It is your application making a connection to some outside endpoint, and Tomcat
knows nothing about it.
The only thing in common between your application and Tomcat, is that they both
run in the same JVM.
So if you set a global JVM option "-D", this impacts *everything* that runs in
that JVM :
Tomcat, other applications, and your own application.

You probably need to find a way to set these properties for your application
only (or for that connection only).
Sadly, I don't know java well-enough to know if that is possible in this case.
What library are you using, to make that HTTP call ?  Look there first.

DISCLAIMER: This electronic mail message and any attached files contain
information intended for the exclusive use of the intended addressee and may
contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution
of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. Please
notify sender if you are an unintended recipient and delete the original
message without making copies. Thank you.