well -- Mark surely knows much better than I do -- so take into account what he wrote, but I was already writing this so I decided to send anyway, and for most application it should work fine IMO:

1) you create a class that implements the Filter interface and maintains the count in an AtomicLong object.

2) you increment the AtomicLong before the call to chain.doFilter() and decrement it after that call.

3) you add a way to get the value, either with a public method or by setting the value to a Servlet Attribute.

see more about Filters at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/filters-137243.html

another way I can think of is to get all the threads in the JVM with Thread.getAllStackTraces(), loop over them, and check their names for example.