On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: John Smith [mailto:tomcat.ran...@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Restricting SSL access within webapp
>
> > What's the correct way to selectively restrict https to only one area of
> a webapp?
>
> Why would you want to do that?  Other than a few extra server CPU cycles,
> what's the harm in allowing SSL anywhere at the client's discretion?
>
>  - Chuck
>

>From the docs:

Also, while the SSL protocol was designed to be as efficient as securely
possible, encryption/decryption is a computationally expensive process from
a performance standpoint. It is not strictly necessary to run an entire web
application over SSL, and indeed a developer can pick and choose which
pages require a secure connection and which do not. For a reasonably busy
site, it is customary to only run certain pages under SSL, namely those
pages where sensitive information could possibly be exchanged.

Unfortunately how to do this isn't explained. I might use a filter. Our
site handles 500,000 visitors a day on two TC instances. Believe me, I need
to consider performance costs.