John,

On 8/1/14, 5:43 PM, John Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
> chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:
>
>>> From: John Smith [mailto:tomcat.ran...@gmail.com] Subject:
>>> Restricting SSL access within webapp
>>
>>> What's the correct way to selectively restrict https to only
>>> one area of
>> a webapp?
>>
>> Why would you want to do that?  Other than a few extra server CPU
>> cycles, what's the harm in allowing SSL anywhere at the client's
>> discretion?
>>
>> - Chuck
>>

>> From the docs:
>
> Also, while the SSL protocol was designed to be as efficient as
> securely possible, encryption/decryption is a computationally
> expensive process from a performance standpoint. It is not strictly
> necessary to run an entire web application over SSL, and indeed a
> developer can pick and choose which pages require a secure
> connection and which do not. For a reasonably busy site, it is
> customary to only run certain pages under SSL, namely those pages
> where sensitive information could possibly be exchanged.
>
> Unfortunately how to do this isn't explained. I might use a filter.
> Our site handles 500,000 visitors a day on two TC instances.
> Believe me, I need to consider performance costs.

You'd have to determine which URL patterns are "okay" for dropping
HTTPS and then do a protocol-changing redirect. You can do this with a
custom Filter, or you might even be able to use url-rewrite to do the
job... I've never tried to configure that to switch protocols and do a
self-redirect.

Writing the code yourself should be easy, but you should probably give
url-rewrite a try first.