Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
On 2014-09-10 22:12, Mark Eggers wrote:
I don't think that the trailing /* is valid for a simple
Location directive. If you want regular expressions you'll have to use
either LocationMatch or Location ~ (Location followed by the ~)

This was the decisive hint! JkMount needs /*, but Location doesn't seem to handle it well. This makes the one-argument-form of JkMount quite useless. The solution was using the two-argument-form isolated with /* and Location without.

Still doesn't explain why it sometimes works, but I'll leave that as an exercise for mod_jk fans.

This is a matter of preference, and if you are happy with the above, so be it.
You may want to document this well in the Apache config file though, because someone viewing this later (maybe yourself even, in 6 months time) would not really understand, and may think it was a typo.

I personally am a fan of the "SetHandler jakarta-servlet" and associated SetEnvIf instructions, mainly for this reason :
Essentially, both types of directives do the same thing, but
this is an Apache httpd configuration file, likely to be viewed and edited later by people who understand the Apache httpd logic, and maybe not so much of the mod_jk and Tomcat logic. So I find it better to use the Apache-style <Location*>, SetEnv(If) etc. kind of configuration directives, because they fit better in the standard Apache configuration and scope logic, than the Jkxxxx directives. You have just seen an example yourself : the way in which JkMount handles wildcards is not the same a the way <Location*> directives do, so this - in my view - leads to confusion for the unsuspecting (or just un-mod_jk-educated) sysadmin. It can also lead to confusion if later you need to implement Rewrite or Proxy directives in your Apache configuration, and start having cross-interaction with these Jk* directives.