> Hello
> I'm coming back to Tomcat after years using GlassFish. The little that I ever
> understood of Tomcat 3, 4 and 5 is now decidedly rusty so I've been reading
> Tomcat 7's RUNNING.txt with interest.
>
> The section under the heading:
> Advanced Configuration - Multiple Tomcat Instances
> Looks interesting to me even though I have no desire to run multiple
> instances.
>
> Configuring CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE to be separate directories looks
> to me like such a winning idea that I'm left wondering, why the default
> TOMCAT installation puts all that stuff in one directory ?
>
> I have not looked to see if Tomcat 8 separates them.

1) The default distributive is friendly to newbies. If you just run
startup.sh (startup.bat) it assumes that CATALINA_HOME ==
CATALINA_BASE == its parent directory and starts successfully.

If you separate "home" and "base" you have to pass them as environment
variables to the scripts. That requires a bit more of configuration
from the users.

2) On productive systems you usually configure CATALINA_BASE once
(your site) and install a new CATALINA_HOME with each point release.

Even if some files such as "webapps" are not used in the home
directory in this configuration, it may be useful to have them for
reference.

http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html#Before_upgrading_or_migrating
http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-8.html#Upgrading_8.0.x

3) Many 3rd parties (Linux vendors) redistribute Tomcat with separate
home and base directories.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko