On the subject of "Newbie-friendly", I think Tomcat would be a whole lot more
friendly if CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE were always totally separate with a
minimum of overlap.

Although I used Tomcat quite a lot years ago I still consider myself a Tomcat
Newbie, mostly because configuration always took days or weeks longer than is
reasonable. Now I'm back to Tomcat after years of having it easy using
GlassFish. The files might be different now but the grief with configuration is
still the same.

I've been through numerous configurations with various versions of Tomcat 7 and
8 the furthest I've got is getting a database connection to work. Now having
created a minimal CATALINA_BASE I've jumped a few steps back and it won't start.

I am sure many of the problems would evaporate if only there were built in and
permanent clarity over the separation between CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE.

Yes, I've read RUNNING.TXT and I'm left wondering why do I have a catalina
class not found if all the tomcat jar files are in CATALINA_HOME/lib

Using CATALINA_BASE:   "C:\tomcat8catalina_base"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "C:\tomcat809"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\tomcat8catalina_base\temp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\jdk1.7.0_55"
Using CLASSPATH:
"C:\tomcat809\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\tomcat8catalina_base\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"
Listening for transport dt_shmem at address: tomcat_shared_memory_id
03-Nov-2014 17:45:50.410 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event threw
exception
 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener

All these experiments are done running Tomcat under NetBeans so perhaps part of
my issue is with NetBeans. The CLASSPATH shown above is a bit on the short
side, is it meant to be so short ?

Vince