Victor,

On 3/10/15 6:33 PM, Victor Rodriguez wrote:
> I'm sorry.

Don't apologize, just listen and respond appropriately.

> I should have prefaced my original question by stating that I'd
> read the Tomcat documentation

Great. So, what is it about just setting gzip="true" on the
DefaultServlet that won't meet your needs?

> The only solution I found was having a servlet filter that adds
> the 'Content-encoding: gzip' response header

That shouldn't be necessary.

> and since I was referencing static content outside of any war
> file,

That's the first time you mentioned this requirement, although it's
easily solved. The solution depends upon your Tomcat version, which
you still haven't bothered to mention.

> I didn't want to have to write a servlet filter.

That shouldn't be necessary.

> Underlying Chris's original response was the assumption that I
> hadn't already read the documentation or done some research on my
> own prior to asking for assistance here, which was not the case.

If you read the docs, why didn't you say that you had read them? If
you had read them and understood them, you wouldn't have had to ask
the question that you did. Instead, you may have asked for
clarification before you actually tried configuring it.

> And then he didn't even point me to the pertinent documentation,
> but rather just said that I should read the documentation.  If he
> had pointed me to the pertinent documentation, I would not have
> been upset, but simply telling me to read the documentation pissed
> me off a bit.

The Tomcat documentation, while not the winner of any recent Pulitzer
Prizes, is definitely navigable: go to the Tomcat home page, and under
the "Documentation" menu, choose the version of Tomcat you are using.
There is even a top-level item for "default servlet" which Mark told
you to configure. Searching for "gzip" finds one relevant option. I
honestly don't understand why this is so hard.

And no, I'm generally not a jerk on this list. Had your tone been a
little more ... accommodating, I would have adjusted to that.

> telling someone to read the documentation without even so much as a
> hint as to where to look is analogous to telling someone to read
> the JDBC spec in response to a JDBC question (which by the way has
> also happened to me!)

That depends upon what the question was. If you asked what the return
type was for ResultSet.getString(String), I might tell you to go read
the spec, or at least the Javadoc.

This is a mailing list to support a community, not to be your own
personal reference librarian.

So, back to the original question: why doesn't gzip="true" meet your
needs? Your original muttering on the subject:

On 3/9/15 5:25 PM, Victor Rodriguez wrote:
> Thanks Mark!  Unfortunately, that is not an option.  The client
> will be requesting the files without the .gz extension.

either misunderstood the solution or you have some hidden requirement
that you aren't telling us.