I have done some some debugging and it seems to be in

org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.java

protected void processAnnotationsUrl(URL url, WebXml fragment,
            boolean handlesTypesOnly) {

        if (url == null) {
            // Nothing to do.
            return;
        } else if ("jar".equals(url.getProtocol())) {
            System.out.println(url.toExternalForm());
            processAnnotationsJar(url, fragment, handlesTypesOnly);
        } else if ("file".equals(url.getProtocol())) {
            try {
                System.out.println(url.toExternalForm());
                processAnnotationsFile(
                       new File(url.toURI()), fragment, handlesTypesOnly);
            } catch (URISyntaxException e) {
                log.error(sm.getString("contextConfig.fileUrl", url), e);
            }
        } else {
            log.error(sm.getString("contextConfig.unknownUrlProtocol",
                    url.getProtocol(), url));
        }

    }

If I comment out the recursive call so it works it
..
file:/opt/apache-tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/lib/
jar:file:/opt/apache-tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/lib/mariadb-java-client-1.1.8.jar!/
file:/
jar:file:/opt/apache-tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/lib/activation.jar!/
Apr 16, 2015 3:54:01 PM org.apache.jasper.servlet.TldScanner scanJars
INFO: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable
debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned
but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can
improve startup time and JSP compilation time.
Apr 16, 2015 3:54:17 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
deployDescriptor
INFO: Deployment of configuration descriptor
/opt/apache-tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml
has finished in 19,071 ms

And the put the lines back in

file:/opt/apache-tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/lib/
jar:file:/opt/apache-tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.34.jar!/
file:/

it gets stuck on file:/

So is it trying to scan the whole drive?

Can any one help on this?  Or should I log a jira report?

Cheers Greg