Thanks for the guidance guys.  I understand it better.
See in-line comments:

Means we can't reach the app on the Tomcat side.

> > What's the best way to handle ROOT.war, assuming there are other
> > webapps to deploy as well?
>
> This is tough. I would recommend that you put all web applications in
> distinct paths, and not use ROOT at all. It makes proxying a little
> more sane IMHO. You can definitely still do it (just do all your
> ProxyPasses for the non-ROOT webapps *first* in httpd.conf, and then
> have one that does something like "ProxyPass / [endpoint]" last to
> handle the ROOT webapp.

This will be very helpful, since the primary app is currently deployed as ROOT.
(We are using Tomcat direct connections, but moving to an HTTPD front-end for a
few deployments.)

> > What if I don't want ROOT.war, but want to send / to a specific
> > webapp?
>
> Put index.html into ROOT/index.html and do a redirect (or something
> roughly equivalent, like using RedirectMatch ^/$ /webapp/).
>
> > SSL Question: Since our web.xml is configured to redirect all
> > requests to SSL in the <security-constraints> area, how does that
> > effect the options that need to be supplied in the connector? Right
> > now, we just have the basic config as it comes in the initial
> > conf.xml.
>
> When using mod_proxy_ajp, the SSL information should be passed-over
> from httpd to Tomcat just like when you are using mod_jk, so I don't
> think you'll get a redirect storm. mod_jk sends-over some extra stuff
> by default that mod_proxy_ajp I think does not, but I can't remember
> off the top of my head what those things are.

OK, I was just wondering what parameters need to be set in the <Connector> for
AJP and if any needed to be specified for the whole redirect to SSL thingy. I'm
guessing it still needs a redirect parameter in the above case?  Re-reading the
documentation.