You should be able to upgrade to the latest version of Tomcat 7 with little to
no problem.
Get the latest release from the tomcat website, not the Red Hat RPM and you can
install it in parallel with your existing Tomcat, so you can switch back
quickly if you do experience a problem related to the upgrade.
You will need to migrate your server.xml file and possibly you context.xml
files as well, though unlikely in the latter case.
I know that a lot depends on how tightly integrated your app is with tomcat,
but I made the migration with almost no difficulty years ago.
Jeff