Konstantin,

On 6/9/15 5:04 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing to get some pointers on a strange issue which are
>> facing in tomcat in one of our client environments.
>>
>> Setup: 4 Webservers connecting to 2 tomcat using mod_jk (load
>> balanced)
>>
>> Issue: Request parameters GET/POST are coming as null to the
>> application intermittently i.e, filter in web app dumps the
>> request parameters and finds everything empty. TCP dumps are
>> inspected and packets are reaching tomcat even during the failure
>> cases. Parameters are available in tcpdump but lost in between
>> before it reaches application. This happens only on one specific
>> client environment which makes it even difficult to isolate the
>> problem.
>>
>> Tomcat Version: 7.0.54
>>
>> Please suggest some pointers to debug and resolve this issue. I
>> can provide more info if needed.
>>

> The Servlet API has no way to report errors (such as IOException)
> from request.getParameter() family of methods.  There is a
> Tomcat-specific request attribute that is set to a non-null value
> when parsing of parameters fails.
>
> See org.apache.catalina.filters.FailedRequestFilter [1] as a sample
> of code.
>
> [1]
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/filter.html#Failed_Requ
est_Filter

+1

re-read the OP and I was under the impression that the Filter was
reading the request parameters properly, but that the servlet was then
re-reading the parameters and getting nulls.

Having re-read that, I suspect Konstantin's analysis is correct, and
that the parameter values were probably broken in some way.