Here is the relevant parts of the web.xml.  I didn't do the Apache
configuration so I'll have to get more details there but I was told that is
no different than how we configure virtual hosts for other apps that don't
use Tomcat's authentication.  E.g. it seems Tomcat is requiring to have the
app's name in the URL...not a subdomain.

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>Public</web-resource-name>
        <url-pattern>/login.jsp</url-pattern>
        <url-pattern>/error.jsp</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
</security-constraint>

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>Wildcard means whole app requires
authentication</web-resource-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        <http-method>GET</http-method>
        <http-method>POST</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
        <role-name>myapp-user</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
    <user-data-constraint>
        <transport-guarantee>NONE</transport-guarantee>
    </user-data-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<login-config>
    <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
    <form-login-config>
        <form-login-page>/login.jsp</form-login-page>
        <form-error-page>/error.jsp</form-error-page>
    </form-login-config>
</login-config>

<session-config>
    <session-timeout>60</session-timeout>