Bill,

On 12/3/15 10:27 AM, Bill Wolosek wrote:
> [...]
> Source)
>     at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.writeRequests(Unknown
> Source)
>     at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream0(Unknown
> Source)
>     at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
> Source)
>     at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)
>     ... 54 more
>
> Unfortunately nothing is logged server side in any of the tomcat
> logs. I have spent days searching for a solution to the problem
> without success. I have tried to debug the problem through various
> avenues such as logging the SOAP request/response client side and
> server side using the
> -Dcom.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.client.HttpTransportPipe.dump=true
> (client) and
> -Dcom.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.HttpAdapter.dump=true(server) java
> system properties but when the error occurs only the Client side
> request is being logged:
>
> ---[HTTP request -
> http://localhost:8080/CustomerOrderDM/services/CustomerOrderDMService]---<http://localhost:8080/CustomerOrderDM/services/CustomerOrderDMService%5d--->
> Accept: text/xml, multipart/related
> <?xml version="1.0" ?><S:Envelope
> xmlns:S="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";><S:Body><ns3:ImportDocumentRequestDTO
>  xmlns:ns3="http://www.mycompany.com/CustomerOrderDMService/";
> xmlns:ns2="http://www.mycompany.com/CustomerOrderDMService";><ns2:QuoteNumber>A000049</ns2:QuoteNumber><ns2:SerialNumber>STOCK</ns2:SerialNumber><ns2:DocumentType>Email</ns2:DocumentType><ns2:Description></ns2:Description><ns2:DocumentContents>
>  **some base64 encoded byte[] of the file contents being uploaded**
>
> Message has been truncated
> use com.sun.xml.internal.ws.transport.http.HttpAdapter.dumpTreshold property
> to increase the amount of printed part of the message
> --------------------
>
> Since only the client side request is being logged we anticipate the
> server is not completely processing the request and it is falling
> into some kind of exception block, but without anything logging to
> the server log files we are having difficulties trouble shooting the
> problem.
>
> We have tried using proxies such as the Monitoring built into
> Eclipse, but once again I only see the request from the client and no
> response from the server (when the client sends the larger requests
> that fail, small requests log request/response on both client and
> server). Other suggestions for debugging would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> We have also tried different combinations of Java and Tomcat:
> *         Tomcat 7/Java 7 = Works
> *         Tomcat 7/Java 8 = Works
> *         Tomcat 8/Java 7 = Doesn't Work
> *         Tomcat 8/Java 8 = Doesn't Work
>
> This leads us to think that the issue is with Tomcat 8.

Really? Java 7 + Tomcat 8 works, so... Tomcat 8 is the problem?

> Either something was changed in Tomcat 8 and we now need to set some
> new timeout/payload settings or Tomcat 8 has a bug related to this
> specific problem.

When you did the upgrade, what did you do with server.xml? Did you copy
that file from the Tomcat 7 installation and drop it on top of the
Tomcat 8 installation? Or did you start from the stock Tomcat 8 server.xml?

> We have tried setting some of the Tomcat connector settings like
> maxPostSize="-1", connectionTimeout="-1",
> disableUploadTimeout="true", connectionUploadTimeout="-1",
> keepAliveTimeout="-1" but none of these worked and honestly feel like
> a shot in the dark without knowing what is going on server side.

maxPostSize would have been the most obvious thing to use, as the
default for that setting is 2MiB. Can you confirm that files slightly
smaller than 2MiB succeed but slightly larger fail?

You might also want to look at maxSwallowSize in the <Connector>
configuration.

Are you sure you have modified the correct <Connector>? If possible,
post your server.xml file -- sanitized of all private information, of
course.

> We have tried updating the Metro jars server side to the most recent
> release (jaxws-ri-2.2.10) as well as running the client using Java 8.
> Unfortunately none of these worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the ability to attach a Filter to the web application? If
so, try installing the FailedRequestFilter[1] to see if you can get some
more information about what's going on.

While the FailedRequestFilter does not emit any logging information on
the server side, it will return an HTTP response that is appropriate for
the root cause of the error (e.g. "Entity Too Large" if the POSt body is
too large for the configuration).

Are you able to get any information from the client side? Or just a
stack trace? I suspect if Tomcat responds with a legitimate error
message and HTTP response, your existing debugging settings will allow
you to see what is going on. As of now, it looks like Tomcat is simply
severing the connection.

-chris

[1]
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/filter.html#Failed_Request_Filter