On 03/12/2015 15:27, Bill Wolosek wrote:
> We have also tried different combinations of Java and Tomcat: *
> Tomcat 7/Java 7 = Works *         Tomcat 7/Java 8 = Works *
> Tomcat 8/Java 7 = Doesn't Work *         Tomcat 8/Java 8 = Doesn't
> Work

Assuming Tomcat 7 == 7.0.39 and Tomcat 8 == 8.0.28 the above list is
somewhat misleading.

> This leads us to think that the issue is with Tomcat 8.

That conclusion is not supported by the evidence. 7.0.39 is over 2.5
years older than 8.0.28. What is far more likely is that you have been
affected by one of the many fixes in that 2.5 year period that has been
applied to both 7.0.x and 8.0.x.

> Either something was changed in Tomcat 8 and we now need to set some
> new timeout/payload settings or Tomcat 8 has a bug related to this
> specific problem.

See my previous comment.

> We have tried setting some of the Tomcat connector settings like
> maxPostSize="-1", connectionTimeout="-1",
> disableUploadTimeout="true", connectionUploadTimeout="-1",
> keepAliveTimeout="-1" but none of these worked and honestly feel like
> a shot in the dark without knowing what is going on server side.

The 2MB limit should have been a broad hint.

The stack trace on the client side could have been clearer but it is
telling you that the server has dropped the connection.

Those two together plus a review of the changelog should have pointed
you towards the maxSwallowSize of the HTTP connector.

You could have reduced the amount changelog to review by testing
different Tomcat 7.0.x versions which should have pointed you towards
7.0.55 making the 2MB hint more obvious.

> We have tried updating the Metro jars server side to the most recent
> release (jaxws-ri-2.2.10) as well as running the client using Java 8.
> Unfortunately none of these worked. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

maxSwallowSize=-1 is the quick test to see if this is the issue. After
that, you need to adjust it as appropriate for your environment since
this was added to address CVE-2014-0230.

Mark