Sean,

On 6/20/16 2:26 PM, Sean Son wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Mekkelsen Madden, Steve <
> steve.mekkelsenmad...@pega.com> wrote:
>
>> One thing you could do is have an entry in your webapps\ROOT
>> folder called like: MyAppRedirect.html  (name can be anything)
>> Inside the file you need something like: <META
>> HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=../myApp/connection ">
>>
>> In your conf\web.xml at the bottom of it, you'll see 3 lines
>> shown below: <welcome-file-list>
>> <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
>> <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
>> <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file> </welcome-file-list>
>>
>> Change this to point to your MyAppRedirect.html page.
>> <welcome-file-list>
>> <welcome-file>MyAppRedirect.html</welcome-file>
>> </welcome-file-list>
>>
>> That's a simple way to redirect your application.  Your DNS /
>> reverse proxy could take care of the port # and users only need
>> to call your application by name
>> (https://callMyApplication.domain.com) when the DNS/reverse proxy
>> redirects it to the server's port say 8088, the html file appends
>> the remaining portion of the url to what the users typed.
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Sean Son
>> 2016 12:42 PM To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>;
>> a...@ice-sa.com Subject: Re: Need help with URL redirecting
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:39 PM, André Warnier (tomcat)
>> <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. Another tip : on his list,mit is preferred if you respond
>>> in or below the previous text. That's why I moved your previous
>>> answer. It makes it easier to follow the conversation without
>>> having to scroll back and forth all the time.

>>> Yes, I think that it will make the rest easier. So do that, as
>>> per the instructions above, and then we will continue.

>> Thank you for the tidbit about how to reply :) So I used number
>> 17 from the website and i deployed the war file as the ROOT.war
>> file.  What should the next steps be?
>>

>> I thank you again for all of your help!
>>

> Thank you Steve for the suggestion. Will this work with out using a
> reverse proxy? My management told me not to use a reverse proxy

Yes, you can do this without a reverse proxy, but removing the port
number can be a bit of an issue, which is why a reverse proxy is
sometimes recommended: it's just easier that way -- especially if
another web server is already available for that purpose.

For more help, you'll have to give us more information about your
environment: OS, other services already available on the network, etc.
For example, if an appropriate reverse proxy is already available,
then you can point your DNS record to that proxy, and use a virtual
host for that domain name. Then, proxy everything to your Tomcat instanc
e.