OK- so I figured out i can crank up the logging level to DEBUG and see the
kind of logging I want, although it's alot more than I wanted to see.  OPS
would prefer "user admin attempting to access protected resource
/protected/protected.jsp" or something along those lines, as a WARN level
message.

So I'd still appreciate any advice from anyone who's dealt with this problem
before?