On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/12/2016 17:39, John D. Ament wrote:
> > Sorry missed a response..
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 12:36 PM John D. Ament <john.d.am...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 8:50 PM Christopher Schultz <
> >> ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> >>
> > John,

> > So you see a busy-loop? What's the stack trace?
> >

> >> I am probably seeing a busy-loop, however I  see no stack traces.
>
> Take a thread dump.
>
> Better, take 3 ~10s apart and compare.
>
> > Tomcat version?
> >

> > 8.5.8 and a few older ones, so 8.0.30 and 8.5.3 as well (that I can
> recall
> > recently)

> > Er... sorry, I'm not going to do that, and it doesn't look like anyone
> > else is going to do that, either.
> >

> > Its always worth a shot.

> > I browsed your github repo for about 15 seconds until I realized that
> > there are like 10k files and I'd never find the embedded driver
> > without asking. So, where is it?
> >
> > Can you compare your driver with any of the many Tomcat test cases
> > that launch an embedded server instance? Those test classes do exactly
> > what it sounds like you are trying to do.
> >

> > Happily, can you point me to some of these test cases?
>
> Most of them under trunk/test
>
> This one has several variations:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/test/org/apache/catalina/connector/TestRequest.java?view=annotate
>

> > On a related note, documentation for tomcat embedded is scarce.  I
> usually
> > have to find it on non-apache channels.  What would be the best way to
> get
> > a document page started, maybe linked off of
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/index.html ?  What repo contains
> > your site?  I'd be happy to provide some patches from my own learnings.
>
> The docs are taken from the releases so you need to start here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/

So I was able to identify my issue.  It's not specifically a tomcat
problem, but tomcat's bootstrapping makes it unique.

one of the issues I've observed is that Tomcat's use of multithreading
causes some thread deadlocking with some synchronized blocks.  I was
wondering if there's a way to turn that off?  Make tomcat's bootstrap
happen in the same thread as the original invocation?