Hi.
Sorry for top-posting, but it seems to be the practice so far in this thread.

Although I will be unable to attend anyway, I have a suggestion for a topic :

"How to get the most performance / lowest resource usage out of your Tomcat"

Admittedly, this is a vast and tortuous subject. But it seems to me that
considering
- java's reputation in general for being a computing resource hog
- the multitude of parameters available in terms of settings for the Connectors, Executors, database connections pools, GC etc. *and* the fact that many (a majority of ?) "tomcat users" (in the sense of this list) are not fundamentally java web applications developers, but rather sysadmins tasked with setting up and running tomcat systems, some kind of "top-down" presentation, starting with some basic principles, and providing some guidelines as what to do in some real-world scenarios, should be susceptible of interesting a vaster potential public.

And the fact that the potential benefit of attending, may help some in reducing the overall computing resources that have to be dedicated to run their applications (or conversely increase the bandwidth of their existing infrastructure investment), may also provide an argument for one's boss to send one there.

To provide some kind of (admittedly narrow) real-world link to the above, see the current thread on the user's list, entitled originally "tomcat 8080 thread not reduced". Clearly it shows that, for example, the way in which Tomcat allocates/deallocates request-processing threads is not very clear from the available documentation, nor whether it has really an impact on tomcat's resource usage or performance.

To provide a wider context : most of the experts who are answering questions on this tomcat user's list are tomcat code committers, for whom java in general, and the tomcat code in particular, hold no mysteries. For such people, some highly technical presentation subject would probably seem most appealing. But the purpose of Mark's appeal seems to be to gather a wider potential audience, so it may be sensible to choose some subjects with could potentially appeal to people who would not normally go to such highly-focused presentations. I am not really advocating a "tomcat for dummies" presentation, but maybe something more akin to a tomcat marketing approach would be nice. In any case, if you want to convince your boss to send you there, there has to be a presentation title which your boss can understand and relate to. Without of course making it so appealing that he will decide to attend himself.