Thanks for the response, Chris.

Below are my answers in order.
To keep the response as short as possible, i have not included the ciphers
list in the connector -

a) Tomcat 7.0.79 (will be updating to 7.0.82)
b) JRE 1.80_144
c) Our connector configuration is below.
d) We are using NIO.
e) I am using a simple java client that makes TLS connection to our tomcat
on below port. I am capturing the SSL handshake.
The way i tested the client preference is: Lets take the same example i
gave in my first email i.e. clients preference is ABCDEF and the tomcat
servers preference is DEFABC with *useServerCipherSuitesOrder* set to true.
During the 1st handshake connection, "A" cipher suite was chosen. I removed
"A" from my tomcat connector, restarted the service, and did the connection
test again.
"B" was chosen during this 2nd handshake. Same test was continued and
observed that CDEF were chosen next in order.
I am expecting DEFABC as the order of preference as per the
*useServerCipherSuitesOrder* setting.

Let me know if i am missing anything or is my understanding is incorrect.

<Connector
                id="orion.server.https"
                acceptCount="100"
                *useServerCipherSuitesOrder*="true"
                ciphers="we have around 20 cipher suites listed..."
                clientAuth="want"

compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml,text/css,text/javascript,text/json,application/x-javascript,application/javascript,application/json"
                compression="on"
                compressionMinSize="2048"
                disableUploadTimeout="true"
                enableLookups="false"
                keystoreFile="keystore/xyz"
                keystorePass=""
                maxConnections="500"
                maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
                maxKeepAliveRequests="500"
                maxThreads="250"
                minSpareThreads="25"
                noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"
                port="8443"
                processorCache="500"
                protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
                scheme="https"
                secure="true"
                server="Undefined"
                sessionCacheSize="400"
                SSLEnabled="true"
                sslProtocol="TLS"
                sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2"
                truststoreFile="keystore/xyz"
                truststorePass=""
                truststoreType="jks"
                URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Christopher Schultz <