Am Donnerstag, den 29.03.2018, 18:21 -0500 schrieb charlie arehart:

> > From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
> >
> > Mark,

> > > That is what version control is for:
> > > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1827860&view=rev
> > >
> > > Felix made a bunch of changes to fix this of which the above
> > > change is
> > > just the first.
> > Aha. I even knew "where" I was looking and I still missed it.
> >
> > - -chris
> Well, FWIW, I will say that I did not know, Chris. :-)
>
> And to Mark, I would ask: how would I have known to look there? I
> don't mean to sound snarky, but I said in my very first post on the
> subject that I was new to the list (though not new to Tomcat, as a
> user at least).
>
> So mine is a sincere question: is there some way that I, as a mere
> use of the docs, would have even known that they were in that version
> control resource? Let alone what specific one? Are you thinking that
> there is some resource that readily tells us that, as users? If I
> missed it, I do apologize.
>
> Or might you just have thought that this was discussed often enough
> here that one should have known? Again, I admitted I was a new user,
> but perhaps you did not read that very first message. (No one replied
> for a few days, which is why I pinged about it again today.)
>
> And to that point, and indeed your observation that this was changed
> by Felix...well, he never said so here. Again, that's why I pinged
> the list on this. I do appreciate that it was done, of course!  And
> also that (like Andre said in another thread today) doing doc changes
> is a thankless enough task. :-) I'm just saying a lot of back and
> forth could have been saved. Browser caching of the page clearly kept
> me from seeing the change on my own.

All changes to sources are send to the dev list, so I didn't feel the
need to announce it independently. But as a small defence on my side,
in my last mail to you on the user-owners, I wrote that I would
probably have a look at it and thought that would be enough to inform
you about it. Sorry, that I didn't send a follow up and didn't answer
earlier to your follow-up on this list.

> And again, I am trying to learn the ins and outs here, so as not to
> be a burden to the list. I hope ultimately to "give" far more than
> "take", over time, if I can (as I've done for many years in other
> forums and lists).

That is the reason, why I thought it a good idea to discuss this on the
public users list.

I still believe that your real concern is not about these few b's
missing from links in the documentation, but rather how to report those
mistakes in general, how to submit fixes in an easy way and most
importantly: where is this written on the tomcat home page.

And to address these things, I found it important, that you started
this discussion on the mailing list. Those on the dev list mostly know
how to contribute changes, but we also want newcomers to become
contributors. Thus it is important, that we have a clearly described
way on how to contribute at a prominent place on the home page.

Best regards,
 Felix