Hi Louis

Thanks for replying to my request for help.  :-)

cjb> Due to security concerns and general fussiness on my part, I'd like
cjb> to prevent users from requesting JSP pages directly [...].  That
cjb> way I can legitimately claim that all requests are being validated,
cjb> input scrubbed, JSP's cannot be taken advantage of w/o their
cjb> servlet chaperones being present, etc.

cjb> a. One way I read is by adding a <security-constraint> for each
cjb> folder. One use case is for JSP include files.  That looks possible
cjb> but makes it seem like these are exceptions and not the rule.  I
cjb> want "deny, deny, deny" to be the default and the one or 2 allowable
cjb> JSP pages to be the exception.

lz> can't you create a Security Folder and list out only the JSPs
lz> that you want to allow the users access to?  My application is
lz> a third party application so I didn't develop it but they use
lz> a folder that has a list of .jsps that I can access so I assume
lz> they have set it up in the code.

It sounds like you're suggesting something like option (a), using security
constraints linked to folders.

lz> Or am I just telling you the end state that you want to achieve
lz> without actually coding suggesting any coding for you?

Yeah, that's an end-state, and the security folder would be one possible method
of getting there.

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer