Tony,

On 10/12/18 14:45, Tony Esposito wrote:
> Thank you André for this feedback.
>
> If I may, I wish to approach this from another angle.  (The user
> community is larger than at first anticipated).

Since you are switching away from tomcat-users.xml to a real data
store, why does a larger user community change things further?

> If the header received has a certain password (which is static for
> all users requesting access), then bypass Basic Auth and let the
> user connect.
>
> (The application does more security checking and authentication on
> the header.)
>
> So the question becomes:
>
> How to disable Basic Auth when the header contains a password
> which is static for all users requesting access?
This make zero sense.

HTTP Basic authentication will require the user to enter their
credentials. Once they enter their credentials, you'll inspect the
password for some magic value and then you want to retroactively
DISABLE HTTP Basic auth? I believe that requires timey-wimeyness.

Why not simply always require username+password, and then
opportunistically perform additional checks (as mentioned, but not
described) above? Once the user has authenticated successfully, the
browser will continue to send the username+password with each
successive request and the user won't be asked again for their
credentials.

The definition of "authenticated successfully" from the browser's view
is when the server stops sending the "WWW-Authenticate" response header.

BTW static password == bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad

If you have a static password, why bother asking for it in the first
place? It's like requiring a username + password for a terminal and
then stamping the username and password on the monitor. You may as
well remove the challenge.

- -chris