Thanks Chris

> It's worth stopping here to note that
> Tomcat's keystore and truststore
> configuration only effect the connections
> coming into Tomcat.over
> whatever
> <Connector> is being configured with those stores.

 I thought that may be the case, but needed someone to confirm.  I assumed I
would have to set the location myself, I was just hoping Tomcat might set
something I could use by my code, but sounds like, no.

> Good. Well, not good
> but at least SOMETHING is happening. Can you post
> exactly that you typed, and where?

In the Java tab in the options entry area I added the following lines:
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=e:\tomcat8\cert3\mystore
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=mypassword
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=e:\tomcat8\cert3\mystore
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=mypassword

And as I mentioned, when I did System.getProperty on these values, the keyStore
was set to the value I entered, but the trustStore was not.  It was still the
value coming in from somewhere else.  I don't know how the System property is
being set, but using the -D in the service tool did not work.

> No filename
> extension? That's uncommon, but not necessarily a
> problem.
In this case, not my choice and hopefully no extension isn't causing an issue.
I used what was done prior to my involvement

> You'd have to look around in the
> configuration utility. There are many
> boxes,
> but it should be there somewhere.
It looks like the config is stored in the registry, I searched that and I do
not see mystore anywhere in the registry.

> Tomcat itself sets none of
> this. If it's in the system properties,
> it's because of some explicit configuration
> *somewhere*.

I believe you when you say it is not Tomcat.  But I searched the server and
registry, and I just cannot find where it is being set:   I thought System
properties were either set via env variables (I did a set | more and do not see
the value anywhere) or is passed to the jvm using -D (but as I mentioned, when
I did this, nothing got set for trustStore, though keyStore did get set).

I'm missing something, I just don't know what it is.  I could set it directly
in my code and that is an option, but I'd like to know hwere that proerpty is
coming from before I play with code (to make sure I'm not breaking something
else).

I'll keep looking for it.