Actually, my goal was to convince the Solr team that switching from
Jetty to Tomcat was (a) possible and (b) possibly attractive.

Over on lucene-dev, I had said that I removed jetty from solr's ivy config and found only two classes with errors in eclipse.

Turns out this was because I hadn't removed jetty from the *lucene* ivy config, so most of the jetty jars were actually still referenced in the eclipse build path.

When I remove jetty from ALL ivy configs, there are 335 compile errors, across many more classes.  Some of those are on the Lucene side, where I have less concern.  The part of Lucene that utilizes Jetty is not used in Solr.

As I expected, a lot of the errors are in test code, but some of them are in code that's not for tests.

If you really want to see us switch to Tomcat, we'll need help fixing those errors ... switching the code over to generic APIs (servlet and native Java) where possible, and to Tomcat where necessary.  I would not expect the Tomcat community to actually do the work -- just provide expert guidance.  Although if anyone was interested in volunteering, I wouldn't turn away the help!

Thanks,
Shawn