hi.

1) I have removed the previous correspondence from this email, because by now it has become pretty much unreadable anyway. Also, there are 2 links at the bottom of your last email (to "avg"-something). I don't know if these are supposed to provide some additional information, but they both lead to a page asking me to install something on my laptop, which of course I am not going to do.

2) according to the paths which you show below, it does not look like there is an overlap between the httpd DocumentRoot and the tomcat webapps directory. (Of course that does not show if there are any symlinks anywhere which may provide such a connection on the sly. But let's suppose there aren't, and let's for now forget about that red warning in the documentation.)

3) I do not really remember what the stage of your problem is right now. Can you summarise it again ? (And remind us of the versions of Java and tomcat please, it will save us a search through the archive.)

What I suppose is that you now have this configuration, on one host for httpd
and tomcat :

browser <- HTTP/S ->  httpd + mod_jk <- AJP -> tomcat AJP Connector

                                                   webapps

                                                   your webapp
                                                      |- files (HTML, JSP)
                                                      |- WEB-INF
                                                           |- private files

(Note in the above, that the protocol between mod_jk and tomcat is AJP, not HTTP/S. In summary, it is a binary and somewhat optimised version of HTTP, which only mod_jk and the AJP Connector in tomcat understand. But that should be transparent as far as tomcat webapps are concerned).

You have a "workers.properties" file somewhere which tells the mod_jk module "where" the tomcat instance is ("name", host/IP, port), and the AJP Connector in tomcat matches that IP and port.

You also have a mod_jk setup (in the Apache config) that tells httpd which URLs should be forwarded to which tomcat instance. These are the "JkMount" directives.

There are also logfiles, for both httpd and tomcat, which are generally helpful to find out what happens.

I also seem to remember that initially, you had a problem getting httpd to load the mod_jk module, but that now this is resolved, and the command "apache2ctl -M" shows the list of loaded modules, including mod_jk.

So wat is the remaining issue ?

Note also :
In the information below, there is mention of a
> TOMCATS_BASE="/var/lib/tomcats/"
variable and directory. This is not something that I know. It may be new in recent versions of tomcat, or it may be something which the CentOS package managers do. (I also do not find it in the "RUNNING.txt" file of the tomcat 9 distribution, so I guess that it is CentOS-specific.) There may be more things like that, which may complicate a bit our efforts to help you, because we do not necessarily have a CentOS system like yours at hand.

On 27.11.2018 20:18, Lou Wallace wrote:
Hi André,

Here is some info on the setup, let me know what it tells you.

tomcat
etc/tomcat
drwxrwxr-x. 3 root tomcat     23 Nov 18 17:48 Catalina
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat  13443 Oct 16 09:16 catalina.policy
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat   6496 Oct 16 09:16 catalina.properties
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root tomcat     20 Nov 18 17:48 conf.d
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat   1394 Oct 16 09:16 context.xml
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat    547 Oct 16 09:16 log4j.properties
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat   3288 Oct 16 09:16 logging.properties
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat   6613 Oct 16 09:16 server.xml
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat   1651 Oct 16 09:16 tomcat.conf
-rw-r-----. 1 root tomcat   2418 Oct 16 09:16 tomcat-users.xml
-rw-r--r--. 1 root tomcat 167655 Oct 16 09:16 web.xml

DocumentRoot (from httpd.conf)
var/www/html

ServerRoot (from httpd.conf)
/etc/httpd

webapps directory is at
/var/lib/tomcat

tomcat.conf
# System-wide configuration file for tomcat services
# This will be loaded by systemd as an environment file,
# so please keep the syntax. For shell expansion support
# place your custom files as /etc/tomcat/conf.d/*.conf
#
# There are 2 "classes" of startup behavior in this package.
# The old one, the default service named tomcat.service.
# The new named instances are called tomcat@instance.service.
#
# Use this file to change default values for all services.
# Change the service specific ones to affect only one service.
# For tomcat.service it's /etc/sysconfig/tomcat, for
# tomcat@instance it's /etc/sysconfig/tomcat@instance.

# This variable is used to figure out if config is loaded or not.
TOMCAT_CFG_LOADED="1"

# In new-style instances, if CATALINA_BASE isn't specified, it will
# be constructed by joining TOMCATS_BASE and NAME.
TOMCATS_BASE="/var/lib/tomcats/"

# Where your java installation lives
JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/jre"

# Where your tomcat installation lives
CATALINA_HOME="/usr/share/tomcat"

# System-wide tmp
CATALINA_TMPDIR="/var/cache/tomcat/temp"

# You can pass some parameters to java here if you wish to
#JAVA_OPTS="-Xminf0.1 -Xmaxf0.3"

# Use JAVA_OPTS to set java.library.path for libtcnative.so
#JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.library.path=/usr/lib"

# You can change your tomcat locale here
#LANG="en_US"

# Run tomcat under the Java Security Manager
SECURITY_MANAGER="false"

# Time to wait in seconds, before killing process
# TODO(stingray): does nothing, fix.
# SHUTDOWN_WAIT="30"

# If you wish to further customize your tomcat environment,
# put your own definitions here
# (i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH for some jdbc drivers)