Dear Mallory and Mark,

  then I'm the one of the rare who use an "unusual" setups for more than 10
years :) . On a staged farm of about 3*10 Tomcat's we run a whole bunch of
"webapps"; most of them in at least two instances for failover.

  But I never configured more than one Service and one Engine: There is only
one Service , with an AJP Connector for the reverse proxy (Apache httpd +
Jakarta) and a http Connector for service purposes. Inside, there is one Engine
and inside this, there are a bundle of Hosts for each domain needed for the
applications and inside each hosts (using an individual appBase for each
domain), the deployments spawn contexts for each application running. Among
this hosts, there's also a "localhost" taking the admin applications. This one
is addressed via the http Connector.

Guido