Ignoring most of this due to thread hijacking but correcting factual
errors for the benefit of the archives.

On 20/12/2018 06:52, Bo wrote:
> okay tomcat 6 is earliest/latest version that supports 64bit...

The above statement is incorrect.

Any version of Tomcat will run on either a 32-bit or 64-bit JVM
providing that that JVM meets the minimum Java version required by the
version used of Tomcat.

The Windows installer has supported 64-bit since 5.5.28. So the Windows
installer provided by all current versions support 64-bit JVMs.

<snip/>

>> Long story short, next I'm trying to migrate from Tomcat 5.5.17 to Tomcat7.
>> I see that the officially supported route is two paths, migrating/updating 1
>> level at a time, from Tomcat5.5 to Tomcat 6 and then from Tomcat6 to Tomcat7.

The above statement is incorrect.

The Tomcat community does not require migration one major version at a
time. If anything, we'd recommend the exact opposite - upgrade to the
latest available version.

Migration of any well written web application from 5.5.x to 9.0.x is
trivial.

Mark