Still ignoring the original question due to the thread hijacking.

As much as I'd like to leave this thread alone, here is some more
factual correction for the archives...

If you don't want/need a Windows service wrapper and you have a 64-bit
JVM for your OS that meets the minimum Java version for the version of
Tomcat you want to use, any Tomcat version will run quite happily on
that 64-bit JVM.

If you want to run a 64-bit JVM as a Windows service then the first
version of Tomcat that ships with all the bits you need is 5.5.28. All
subsequent versions also include everything you need.

You can get Tomcat versions before 5.5.28 running as a 64-bit Windows
service, it just requires a little manual configuration.

On 20/12/2018 13:48, Bo wrote:
> thats not true, i used winmerge to compare 32bit vs 64bit tomcat6, two
> changes are the tomcat6.exe is different as well as a .dll or something
> within the same location.since 32bit tomcat5 can only see and only use and
> only set 1024m, else
> service doesnt even start in services.msc, only option is to go to
> 64bit.

Not correct. a 32-bit process can see up to 2 GB by default and up to
3GB if you configure Windows with the right boot time options (that
takes me back). The Java heap that is available is going to vary based
on multiple factors. If the process has 2GB available then a maximum
heap of 1GB is a little on the low side (I'd normally expect a little
over 1.5GB) but it does depend what other options you are starting the
JVM with.

> tomcat6 has zips of 32bit vs 64bit, not true for tomcat5. so
> while 32bit tomcat5 runs under a 64bit os, thats not the definition of
> supporting 64bit

It is correct that Tomcat 5 does not have separate 32-bit and 64-bit
distributions. However...

apache-tomcat-5.5.28.zip contains:
/bin/tomcat5.exe  - 32-bit service wrapper (for 32-bit JVM)
/bin/tomcat5w.exe - 32-bit service manager (for 32 or 64-bit JVM)
/bin/procrun/amd64/tomcat5.exe - 64-bit service wrapper (for 64-bit JVM)
/bin/procrun/ia64/tomcat5.exe - 64-bit service wrapper (for 64-bit JVM)

So Tomcat 5 (from 5.5.28) does contain everything required to run as a
64-bit Windows service (on Itanium or Intel/AMD).

The separate 32-bit and 64-bit packages were added to make it easier for
users so they did not have to copy the right version of tomcat6.exe into
the bin directory. They just downloaded the right zip for their
architecture and the right tomcat6.exe was already in place.

Mark