On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM John Dale <jcdw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using init.d and a custom script complete with single command
> deploy using git hooks.
>
> git push <remote> master pushes, builds, and  bounces Tomcat. I like
> it very much .. building and deploying can be such a pain.
>
> Is systemd something that is available on debian wheezy?

It can be enabled on "Wheezy" (Debian 7, c. 2013, these names only add to
the confusion, I had to look it up), but that was the last Debian version
to use init.d.  Debian 8 (Jessie) already came with systemd in 2015 [1].

Is init.d going out of style?

Yes, for the better part of 5 years now.

> I've been using it since .. I can't even remember.  1998 maybe on Fedora?

That might be the issue ;)

Igal

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history#Debian_7_(Wheezy)