Igal Sapir wrote:
John Larsen wrote:
Setup an init script.
On modern Linux systems you should really use systemd instead of the old
init scripts.

Depends on your definition of modern.  Most Docker containers, many
versions of Linux and all versions of Unix use init scripts.  Docker at
least is modern in most uses of the term.  It is also a platform whose
market share has been growing at least in part due to most container's
lack of systemd.  Systemd also supports init scripts last I checked.
Don't know about anyone else but I value cross-platform compatibility.

Joel Saunders wrote:
Lastly, I'd like the logs to go to /var/log/tomcat8 if possible.

This is something I'd like to see changed in Tomcat.  Would also be good
for cross-platform compatibility.  /var is meant to be mutable and
/var/log is meant for logs.  That's why nearly all software packages
write logs there.  Would save many hassles and provisioning issues if
Tomcat (dist and packages) created /var/log/tomcat and, if necessary,
symlinked $TOMCAT_HOME/logs.  At least that way you could be assured of
not having an unwritable log directory.

Roger Marquis