On 2/5/2019 1:15 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
…
Migratation to git has been in planning for a while. We are pretty much
ready to pull the trigger. It is largely waiting for someone to have the
time to do it when there aren't other more urgent things to be dealt
with. I'd expect it to happen in the next few months.

That would really be super. If there are discussions that will help move this forward, I would like to contribute (to the discussions, at least) if it's helpful. About three years ago I migrated over a decade of my Subversion code to Git, and I did a lot of research on some of the gotchas. It involved splitting out branches and changing their roots. Here's the resulting script I used: https://bitbucket.org/globalmentor/util/src/master/bin/svn2git.sh (with related scripts in the same repo).

A not-unimportant factor is the whole LF vs CRLF nightmare. If you haven't been normalizing to LF in the Subversion repo from day one, you'll want to rewrite the entire Git history normalizing the text files (including source code) before using the repository. You'll want to add a good `.gitattributes` file so that this happens automatically going forward. (I understand you have this to some extent in Subversion already, but it's not as configurable as with `.gitattributes`.) Anyway, I hope you can go forward with this soon.

However, you can still use git and GitHub and provide PRs against
gitub.com/apache/tomcat  The ASF has integrations in place that make it
fairly easy for us to pull those in.

Oh, that's nice. Good news. OK, I'll start looking at the code, thanks.

Garret