Herb,

On 2/14/19 12:41, Herb Burnswell wrote:
> Tomcat 8.5.23 RHEL   7.5
>
> We are looking to set up session management via Redisson to offload
> the CPU consumption of using Tomcat's built in clustering session
> management.  We have CPU licensing limits and need to conserve as
> much CPU as possible.

Dumb question: aren't you just going to move the CPU cycles to another
system?

Another dumb question: do you actually need clustering?

> I have never set up a configuration this way, however I have Redis
> set up and running as 1 Master, 1 Slave.  I seemingly just need to
> point our application to it.  I have read this doc on how to:
>
> https://github.com/redisson/redisson/tree/master/redisson-tomcat
>
> It seems pretty straight forward except for the redisson.conf
> configuration:
>
> Add RedissonSessionManager into tomcat/conf/context.xml
>
> <Manager className="org.redisson.tomcat.RedissonSessionManager"
> configPath="${catalina.base}/redisson.conf" readMode="REDIS"
> updateMode="DEFAULT"/>

I would do this in the application's context.xml file instead of the
global/default one. That means modifying the application's
META-INF/context.xml file, or, if you deploy via files from outside
your WAR/dir application, then conf/[engine]/[hostname]/[appname].xml.

> I am more familiar with YAML so plan on configuring the
> redisson.conf as such.  I have read the referenced configuration
> wiki page:
>
> https://github.com/redisson/redisson/wiki/2.-Configuration
>
> However, it has a great deal of options and I'm not sure what is
> and is not needed.
>
> I am reaching out here on the Tomcat user group to see if anyone
> else is using Redisson for session management and if maybe I can
> get some guidance on a basic redisson.conf configuration.  I'd also
> be interested in comments on if there are better options or things
> to watch out for.

I don't have any experience with either Redis or Redisson, but what is
wrong with the default/sample configuration you have provided above?