Exactly .. this is part of the solution.  I am having tomcat behave
smartly in response to the certificate validation, and I have a nice
path to develop some cool tools, similar to HTTPD, around certbot (I
love that this is a free service, but I do have some concerns over
centralized CSA, so I do other symmetric key encryption in other areas
to help me sleep at night).