Am 2019-10-28 um 14:59 schrieb Mark Thomas:
On October 28, 2019 12:37:14 PM UTC, Johan Compagner <jcompag...@servoy.com>
wrote:
Hi

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 13:15, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi all,

A frequent topic of discussion at ApacheCon EU was Jakarta EE 9. For
those
of you who aren't familiar with Jakarta EE the key points are:

- Oracle have donated Java EE to Eclipse
- Eclipse have released Jakarta EE 8 which is essentially identical
Java EE 8
- Oracle have refused to allow changes to the APIs in the javax
namespace
- The Jakarta EE community seem to be reaching consensus on releasing
Jakarta EE 9 which will rename all the Java packages from javax.* to
jakarta.*

what does this rename really mean?

import javax.servlet.http.HttpSession;
import javax.websocket.Session;

those are renamed?
If that is yes that would mean pretty much everything will break?

Correct. Hence the question on options for how we consider maintaining
compatibility.

If this is going to be disruptive and we cannot maintain compat, why not go the extra step and explicitly move Tomcat code to org.apache.tomcat.* for Tomcat 10? Git renames will work flawlessly for backports.

I assume that most users never knew or don't understand where "catalina" comes from.

Michael