On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:53 PM i...@flyingfischer.ch <i...@flyingfischer.ch>
wrote:

> Am 28.10.19 um 15:39 schrieb Mark Thomas
> >> If this is going to be disruptive and we cannot maintain compat, why
> >> not
> >> go the extra step and explicitly move Tomcat code to
> >> org.apache.tomcat.*
> >> for Tomcat 10? Git renames will work flawlessly for backports.
> > It will break things for users that code against those APIs. It is a
> small number but some do.
> >
> > Mark
> Do you have any evidence based number on this matter? May be in turns
> oout that this "small number" isn't as small as assumed...
>
> Of course, it's actually rather huge:
- Anyone using Tomcat embedded
- Anyone having written a custom Catalina component
- Anyone using a library with a Tomcat integration
- Anyone using a framework that embeds Tomcat

The rationale is that the jakarta change is already breaking compatibility,
and thus to go all in. But I don't share that opinion, it's simply easier
to explain to users that there's a single change: rename javax.servlet (and
the others) to jakarta.servlet. Plus there might be tools or deployment
tricks to do that magically in most cases, while there would likely be
nothing for Tomcat package changes.

Rémy