Jerry,

On 1/8/20 12:05 AM, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
> First of all, a big thank you to everyone who responded to this
> one.  I doubt I'd have figured it out for days without your
> guidance and help.

Glad you are all set, though I'm not sure I agree with your
solution... and possibly your conclusions as to why/how it's "fixed".

> And the winner is.... the JVM timezone.

!!

> But as I described earlier, changing the OS timezone made the JVM
> also go to Central as well.

It's slightly more complicated than this. The system has a time zone.
Each user has their own time zone which defaults to the system time
zone. The user launching the JVM chooses the time zone for the JVM. So
the default progression looks like this:

1. Explicitly set at JVM launch using -Duser.timezone
2. Explicitly set by user using TZ environment variable
3. Inherit from system time zone

> But the JVM apparently assumed the database was in GMT so it
> subtracted 6 more hours off the already-central time from the db.

The JVM doesn't do this. The JDBC driver is responsible. And I still
think that Connector/J is doing the right thing. When you connect via
Connector/J, the driver grabs the time zone from the server and
figures how (and if) to convert time values between the two.

> I guess the real error was not initially leaving the MySQL RDS in
> GMT.  But since that's not changeable without recreating a whole
> new RDS instance, the next option is what I did with the jvm.
> Makes total sense, right???  :-)

If you can login to a shell on the RDS instance, you can change the
system time zone. You can also change the db time zone in the db
config if you want it different from the system (which you do not want
IMHO).