Summarizing what I know now... when I use the command line on the linux instance and do a mysql query, I get the correct date (i.e. the date that I set, the date I wanted, the date that mySQL exports to SQL file, and the date that appears in Windows tomcat).  So this pretty much rules out the problem being in the mySQL server.  I would think this also rules out the problem being in some timezone setting  in the base Linux system hosting tomcat since I get the right date in the command line.  That only leaves the JVM; JDBC package, and MySQL connector.   MySQL RDS instance is set to US Central timezone.  So it's going to return dates in central time, right?  It appears that jdbc and/or the connector is assuming the db is gmt and knocking off another 6 hours. Is there some place in the datasource to tell tomcat the timezone of the database so it knows not to convert TZ when it doesn't need to? I can't find anything like that in the datasource documentation.