James,

On 3/23/20 18:10, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> We recently enabled the httpHeaderSecurity filter globally (i.e.,
> in conf/web.xml) on several customer Tomcat servers, thusly:
>
>> <filter>
>>

>> <filter-name>httpHeaderSecurity</filter-name>
>>

>> <filter-class>org.apache.catalina.filters.HttpHeaderSecurityFilter</f
ilter-class>

>>  <init-param>
>>

>> <param-name>antiClickJackingOption</param-name>
>>

>> <param-value>SAMEORIGIN</param-value>
>>

>> </init-param>
>>

>> <async-supported>true</async-supported>
>>  </filter>
>>

> and now, it seems to be having a side effect on our mobile app,
> such that the "dashboard" function of our product, while it
> continues to work when accessed from a browser, is failing when
> accessed from our mobile app. So far as we know, it's *only* the
> dashboard function (which is in turn based on BIRT).
>
> I know this sounds vague; it's vague because I haven't a clue
> what's going on. I was hoping that somebody here might have some
> insights I could pass on to our webapp/mobile app team.

As soon as I added sameSite=lax cookie policy to our development
server, our mobile app exploded. We have also had problems with CORS
which broke our mobile application as well.

Your problem may stem from the same, related issues we were having:
many mobile apps are actually web applications being "served" by a
"server" which responds to requests to "localhost". The site-origin
for the mobile application is therefore "localhost" and does not match
"example.com" whence the real data is being fetched.

I don't understand exactly how X-Frame-Options (which is what the
HttpHeaderSecurityFilter is configuring) is being used by your
application, but I believe X-Frame-Options is essentially being
replaced by various features of Content-Security-Policy. You may want
to talk to your engineers about using one of those versus the other;
you may want to discontinue using the "anti click-jacking" features of
this filter altogether in favor of something else.