calder wrote:
We've never had occasion to use the password, because we disable shutdown
(the better option).

Never did understand this Tomcat oddity.  What other application is
configured by default to open a tcp socket just to receive a shutdown
command?  Then there the default password, both of which, IMO, warrant a
CVE.

Would be far better i.e. more standards-based and secure, if the socket
were an option and the default stop method was, like everything else, to
use rc/init/service/systemctl/whatever.

OTOH, a quick look at the startup, shutdown, catalina, ... scripts, much
less their lack of reliability, makes a little clearer why some devops
might want to avoid the shipped daemon control scripts.

Roger Marquis