So your RewriteCond[ition] is expected to always be true? Okay. Maybe
remove it, then? BTW I think your rewrite will strip query strings and
stuff like that. Maybe you just want RedirectPermanent instead of
Rewrite(Cond|Rule)?

Ladies and Gentlemen:

This past Friday, the cached challenge result expired, and so this past Monday, I ran another certbot test.

With the rewrite in place for our "subdomain of interest," the cert covering everything else served by the httpd server renewed without incident, but the separate cert covering this subdomain failed completely.

I commented out the rewrite, and ran the test again, and both renewed without incident.

I posted a redacted version of the complete VirtualHost blocks back on August 24th. And after I'd run my tests this week, I've also posted it to ServerFault, at
https://serverfault.com/q/1041047/498231

I'm intrigued by Mr. Schultz's suggestion of

Maybe you just want RedirectPermanent instead of
Rewrite(Cond|Rule)?

Would that make a difference? Or is it just a matter of altering the RewriteCond clause to specifically ignore anything that looks like a Let's Encrypt challenge? Or is there something I can put on the default landing page for the subdomain, rather than in the VirtualHost, to cause the redirection?

As I recall (unless there's a way to force-expire the cached challenge result on a certbot call), I have to wait until December to run another test.

--
JHHL