On 8/21/20 1:02 PM, logo wrote:
 From my experience I have excluded .well-known from the redirect.

That appears to be the correct answer. I probably didn't see that line back in August, or I probably would have replied by asking something like, "Ok, and how do I do that?"

Be that as it may, Andrew Schulman came up with an answer on my ServerFault thread (https://serverfault.com/a/1041882/498231) to the effect of changing the rewrite block from:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\. [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]

to:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\. [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/acme-challenge/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L,QSA]

While I'm not going to be certain until December, when the cached challenge expires, it certainly seems to work: if I go to http://sub.domain.com, it immediately redirects me to https://sub.domain.com, and I get the Tomcat server, whereas if I try to go to http://sub.domain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/foo, it remains http, and gives me the expected "Not Found" error.

--
JHHL